Apply now for our 2017 Junior Zoo Keeper cohort!
Application instructions and link to our application are below!
What is a Junior Zoo Keeper?
- A student between 13 – 17 years of age
- Has a love of animals
- Has an interest in the Zoo
What does a Junior Zoo Keeper do?
- Will help with classes and programs conducted at the Zoo
- Interpret at exhibits for the general public (it'll be fun we promise!)
- Make enrichment for the animals
- Help with special events
- Learn to handle program animals.
We will host a Junior Zoo Keeper Information Session Tuesday March 21st at 5:30pm at Niabi Zoo. This is an optional information session for those interested in learning more about this program.
What do you need to do to be a Junior Zoo Keeper?
- Fill out and submit the application and essay describing "Why would you like to be a Junior Zoo Keeper?" by April 15th
- Submit a letter of reference from a teacher or non-family member
The Education Department will contact you to set up an interview. Interviews will be offered in a group setting on the following dates: Tuesday April 18th at 5:30pm, Friday April 21st at 5:30pm, or Saturday April 22nd at 3:30pm. If an applicant is not able to attend one of these interview dates, an alternate date WILL NOT be offered.
Once accepted into the program, all first year program participants will be required to attend ALL THREE training sessions on:
Saturday April 29 from 9am to 3pm
Saturday May 13 from 9am to 3pm
Saturday June 3 from 9am to 3pm
Preference will be given to applicants who can attend all three training dates, however, excused absences for ONE of the training dates may be allowed.
The fee for this program is $50.00 for Niabi Zoological Society Members and $60.00 for non-members
and is due on the first training date.
Returning Junior Zoo Keepers will be required to attend the training on Saturday April 29, and are encouraged, but not required to attend the additional training dates.
The 2017 Junior Zoo Keeper Application
is available. Applications are due April 15th.