About our program
What does it take to be a Junior Zookeeper?
- Have a passion for animals and nature, and a desire to take action for conservation of species and habitats.
- Be a student between 14-17 years of age (must be 14 by the application deadline of April 3).
- Be willing to receive training, practice, take direction well, receive feedback, be upbeat and willing to share your passion for animals with others.
- Be available and committed to volunteering at least 4 hours per week throughout the summer (10 weeks – based on school break).
- Consider volunteering on the weekends for during the Fall season.
It is highly recommended that all new candidates view the Junior Zookeeper Information Video below. It includes a complete overview of the program, its requirements, position descriptions, perks of the program, and more. It should answer any questions you may have about the program.
All qualified applicants will be scheduled for an interview. Applicants will receive an email for an interview on one of the scheduled dates for a specific time that falls within the listed time frame. Interviews will last approximately 30 minutes. Selection for the program is based on the candidate’s performance in the multi-part interview.
There is a fee to cover the purchase of the Junior Zookeeper uniform shirt and training costs. The fee for this program is $50 and is due on the first day of training and is non-refundable.
In order to develop the skills required and feel confident in one’s abilities, training and practice is required. All selected candidates are required to attend all training sessions .
How do I apply to be a Junior Zookeeper?
The 2023 Application Period has ended. The next opportunity to apply will be in February, 2024.
Before you apply:
- Acquire a letter of recommendation from a teacher or non-family member to upload a digital copy to your on-line application.
- Write a short essay up between 250-300 words (details outlined on application page) and upload a digital copy to your on-line application.
- Due Date: Submit your on-line application, recommendation letter, and essay no later than April 3 (preferably sooner).
- New applicants will complete a 2 part application process.
- Returners are those who have previously served as a Junior Zookeeper will complete a 1 part application process.