About our program
We are now accepting applications for the 2020 program until the April 3 deadline.
What does it take to be a Junior Zookeeper?
- Have a passion for animals and nature, and a desire to take action for conservation of species and habitats.
- Be a student between 14-17 years of age (must be 14 by the application deadline of April 3).
- Be willing to receive training (see below for days), take direction well, be upbeat and willing to share your passion for animals with others.
- Be available and committed to volunteering at least 4 hours per week throughout the summer (based on school break).
Interested candidates along with parents/guardians may attend information sessions to learn more about the program requirements and have questions answered. These sessions are not required but are encouraged for new candidates. Information Sessions will be held in the Discovery Center to the right of the Zoo admission gates. Space is limited so please register for one of the following by clicking on the date:
- Thursday, February 20, 2020, 6:30 pm -7:30 pm
- Saturday, February 22, 2020, 1:00 pm – 2: 00 pm
- Tuesday, March 3, 2020, 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Saturday, March 7, 2020, 1:00 pm – 2: 00 pm
Applicants will receive an email for an interview on one of the scheduled dates for a specific time that falls within the listed time frame. Group Interviews will last approximately 30 minutes.
The interview dates are:
- Saturday, April 11, 9:15am-12pm
- Tuesday, April 14, 4pm-6:45pm
- Thursday, April 16, 4pm-6:45pm
Selection of Junior Zookeepers will be announced through email by April 17.
There is a fee to cover the purchase of the Junior Zookeeper uniform shirt and training costs. The fee for this program is $50 and is due on the first day of training and is non-refundable.
All selected candidates are required to attend all 4 training sessions and should consider whether or not you are available before submitting your application. Alternative dates will not be offered. If you cannot attend training, unfortunately, you cannot be a Junior Zookeeper this year.
The training dates are:
- Saturday, April 25, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
- Saturday, May 2, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
- Saturday, May 9, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
- Saturday, May 16, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
How do I apply to be a Junior Zookeeper?
Before you apply:
- Acquire a letter of recommendation from a teacher or non-family member to upload a digital copy to your on-line application.
- Write a short essay up between 250-300 words (details outlined on application page) and upload a digital copy to your on-line application.
- Due Date: Submit your on-line application, recommendation letter, and essay no later than April 3 (preferably sooner).
- New applicants will complete a 2 part application process. Click the top button below to apply.
- Returners are those who have previously served as a Junior Zookeeper will complete a 1 part application process. Click the bottom button below to apply.