About our program
We will be accepting applications for the 2020 program starting February 1.
What does it take to be a Junior Zookeeper?
- Have a passion for animals and nature, and a desire to take action for conservation of species and habitats.
- Be a student between 14-17 years of age (must be 14 by the application deadline of April 3).
- Be willing to receive training (see below for days), take direction well, be upbeat and willing to share your passion for animals with others.
- Be available and committed to volunteering at least 4 hours per week throughout the summer (based on school break).
We will host Junior Zookeeper Information Sessions in February and March in the Discovery Center. This is not required but is for interested candidates, parents/guardians that would like to learn more about the program. Space is limited so please register once the dates are posted after January 15.
How do I apply to be a Junior Zookeeper?
- Complete the Junior Zookeeper Application (available Feb. 1)
- Acquire a letter of recommendation from a teacher or non-family member.
- Due Date: Submit your application and recommendation letter together to the Niabi Zoo Education Office no later than April 3 (preferably sooner).
Applicants will receive an email for an interview on one of the scheduled dates for a specific time that falls within the listed time frame. Group Interviews will last approximately 30 minutes.
Selection of Junior Zookeepers will be announced through email by April 15.
There is a fee to cover the purchase of the Junior Zookeeper uniform shirt and training costs. The fee for this program is $50 for Niabi Zoo members and $60 for non-members and is due on the first day of training and is non-refundable.
All selected candidates are required to attend training sessions and should consider whether or not you are available before submitting your application. Alternative dates will not be offered. If you cannot attend training, unfortunately, you cannot be a Junior Zookeeper this year.
Saturday, April 25, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 2, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 9, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 16, 2020 Noon-4 p.m.