About our program
Our teen volunteer program is filled for 2018. Please consider applying in February, 2019.
What does it take to be a Junior Zookeeper?
- Have a passion for animals and nature, and a desire to take action for conservation of species and habitats.
- Be a student between 14-17 years of age (must be 14 by the application deadline of April 7).
- Be willing to receive training, take direction well, be upbeat and share your passion for animals with others.
- Be committed to volunteering at least 4 hours per week throughout the summer.
How do I apply to be a Junior Zookeeper?
- Complete the Junior Zookeeper Application (Available in February, 2019).
- Acquire a letter of recommendation from a teacher or non-family member.
- Due Date: Submit your application and letter together to the Niabi Zoo education department no later than April 7.
Applicants will receive an email for an interview scheduled on one of the following dates for a specific time that falls within the listed time frame. Interviews will last approximately 30 minutes.
April 11, 5-7 p.m.
April 13, Noon-3 p.m.
April 17, 5-7 p.m.
Program selection will be announced through email by April 23.
There is a fee to cover the purchase of the Junior Zookeeper uniform shirt and training costs. The fee for this program is $50 for Niabi Zoo members and $60 for non-members and is due on the first day of training.
All selected candidates are required to attend training sessions and should consider whether or not you are available before submitting your application. Alternative dates will not be offered. If you cannot attend training, unfortunately, you cannot be a Junior Zookeeper this year.
The training dates are as follows:
Saturday, April 27, Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 4, Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 11, Noon-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 18, Noon-4 p.m.